By Maddie Jostol
Here we are heading into spring when the market heats up again and the leads start flowing. We started the year strong, setting goals for ourselves – maybe you want to grow your business, organize your business finances, or find better work/life balance – whatever it is, we started the year off with high hopes. Life gets busy, though, and as the market ramps up, it’s easy to get caught in the weeds and lose sight of your overarching goals. How do you plan to hold yourself accountable throughout the year to ensure you reach those goals? Here are a few tips.
1. Make those goals SMART
First step is to review your goals. Revisit those goals you set at the beginning of the year and make sure they’re defined enough to follow through on. Make sure they’re SMART:
• Specific – Outline specifically what you’re hoping to accomplish.
• Measurable – Attach metrics to your goals. How will you know if the goal has been met?
• Achievable – Make sure the goal is realistic. Being ambitious is a good thing, that’s how we take our businesses to the next level. But make sure your goals are do-able.
• Relevant – How does the goal relate to the direction you want your life and your business to take?
• Time-bound – Set a deadline for the goal. When are you hoping to achieve this by?
2. Make a plan
Without a plan, the path to your goals is undefined, making it easy to get off track and lose sight of the finish line. Make sure you have a plan that gets you from point A to point B. Set a few milestones you hope to achieve along the way and outline a few things you know you have to do to get there. Having this plan mapped out (even if it’s high-level) will make your life much easier as you navigate toward those goals throughout the year.