20 Questions with Mark Carlson, VP of Software Engineering at MoxiWorks
Picture Mark Carlson as the person we all strive to be: hardworking, kind, (tall), and somehow making it to the office before anyone else does, every single day. If you see him he’ll surely have coffee in hand, running off to build bada$$ technology for brokerages and agents across the nation.
Since he is the man behind the machine that is MoxiWorks and because he doesn’t get nearly enough of the credit he deserves (even though he’d rather not have it – sorry Mark!), we thought we’d shed some light on him and what makes him tick – besides coffee that is.
Here it goes:
1. How long have you been at MoxiWorks?
Almost 8 years.
2. How many employees do you manage?
3. What has been your favorite product to build and why?
Moxi Talent because we spent a lot of time talking to potential users and learning about the problems they face and came up with a really new and interesting way to help them do their jobs more effectively.
4. What’s your philosophy in life?
Shortcuts rarely are.
5. How do you take your coffee?
6. What’s your favorite thing about MoxiWorks?
7. What does the future hold for MoxiWorks’ tech?
Continued innovation in both our product and how we get work done.
8. You were just on vacation. Where did you go?
9. Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?
10. What keeps you at MoxiWorks?
The people, the culture, and the work.
11. Apple or android?
12. What’s your favorite part of the day?
13. What was your first job?
Worked at a Baskin Robbins ice cream store.
Edit: His favorite flavor was Jamoca Almond Fudge
14. What interested you about MoxiWorks in the first place?
I really wanted to work for a small, innovative, growing company.
15. What do you do when you’re not working?
I play golf as often as possible and hang out with my wife and kids.
16. Did you choose this career path, or did it choose you?
I chose it.
17. What is your biggest pet peeve with modern technology?
18. How would you describe your management style?
Helping people focus on the most important things first.
19. What do you think has been really innovative in real estate in the past 5 years?
*Insert pitch for Moxi Cloud here.*
20. What is your biggest challenge right now?
Transforming MoxiWorks from a small to medium sized company while maintaining nimbleness and drive toward innovation.
Yes, Mark is a man of few words. Yes, he’s a genius. And yes, we approve of his favorite ice cream flavor. Agility and productivity are two must-haves in our world and we mean it when we say – Mark brings it. We can’t wait to see how he helps MoxiWorks continue to grow, evolve, and deliver the ultimate experience to our clients.